Monday, November 26, 2012

Thankful



We are truly blessed with our family, health and ability to serve the King of the universe. I was talking with a friend of ours about responding to a “calling” (like being a missionary) and what that looks like. There are many days I feel like I want to be here and serve. I enjoy the moments that I have been given. There are days I so enjoy living in Africa. I enjoy the friendships that have culturally enriched me. I enjoy when the power goes out because it reminds me to thoroughly enjoy the power when I got it. There are amazing stories I can tell of when I have learned to make do with what I have because I have no option to get what I need to make it work. I enjoy the sunsets, the rains, the simple life, that there is a lake that is so close by we can enjoy, that I can walk out my front door and make a difference in someone’s life.  Also, because of the gas shortage that this country has, I have the ability to enjoy the "I have nowhere to go" and stay home.


I love that I can fully embrace there are days that I don't want to get out of bed.  I really would like to be in my home culture and be in familiarity! I want to just to costco instead 7 stores. I want to enjoy PF Changs and 7/11 slurpees.  The days when I get crabby when the power goes out and then there is no water... oh my! Then there are days I don't feel like talking.   There are days that I am selfish, self absorbed and unable give beyond myself. I wish I had gas to go somewhere anywhere... So this is apart of this journey. I know that even if I was in my sweet cozy home in San Diego - I still have to respond to the call He has for me.  I would still find things to complain about there and be irritated there.

When it comes down to it a “calling” for me is not based on how I am feeling.  It is based on obedience and responding everyday to that.  There are days, obedience and I are at odds with each other and there are days that it works and it flows through me.  By His grace - I keep on pressing on. 

Thank you for praying for us as we do what we do out obedience- without people praying we would fall apart.  

thanks for reading - amy louise :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing and sharing your heart! Love u dearly and praying for you. Tz