Saturday, February 28, 2009

What a journey...



The blog has been silent due to a whirlwind nightmare that began about 2 weeks ago... Feb 19th. Nya began with getting sick with a fever and throwing up. She began to dehydrate quickly. She was put here at ABC Clinic and put on a drip for malaria and antibiotics. It wasn't confirmed that she had malaria. But it was best to treat her if we could. The 2 doctors that were on Campus came and checked on her regularly. She continued to have kidney issues. It seemed to get better and then at 4 am on Thursday we had more throwing up and fever. So we decided in her condition that was not good she really needed to Medically Evacuated to South Africa. We were able to get same day tickets and were sent down south. It is about a 2 1/2 hour plane flight. She continued to throw up on the way down. We arrived in the Johannesburg airport , rented a car and drove to the Hospital and she was admitted that night. She was severely dehydrated and we were put in the pediatric ward for 7 days. She finally got better by the 6th day after been tested negative for everything under the sun and was released. Seriously due to major prayer warriors we have a healthy bouncing 6 almost 7 year old. They never found anything wrong. It is a mystery. So we are just thankful to be this side of it. That was a nightmare, but God was gracious to carry us through and we are so thankful to be back in Malawi living the simple life. The students at the college have come by continually so excited to have us back. We learned that we are apart of a big big family here and in the states. Nya was sad to leave South Africa because all she experienced was the hospital while Analise and I "had fun" ! But she came back here and was so excited to come and see her friends at school. We waited until the end of the day to go say hi. Below is the reception that she had... Truly loved and missed..... Here is a typical African tea party. Jordan Hulley , Analisey and Nya yesterday were loving life as I served tea to them. This is Nya's new buddy. They are are in the same class as you can see in the group shot... She was born in Zimbabwe, but her parents were kicked off their farm at gunpoint when this whole crisis with Mugabe began and they moved to Zambia. Due to lack of work, they have moved here to Malawi. These girls are 2 peas in a pod. It is so sweet to see them play all so great (even with a little Sister who ruins things)
So our the life marches on. We are back to being busy with students and teaching and pouring out our little lives here. We are so thankful for all your love and support as we had this going on. We really felt like God's arms were carrying us through. Please continue to pray for strength as we continue on. thank you again and so sorry it has been so long since I posted. I will definetly do more as we are back in malawi! love - amy louise

4 comments:

Robin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Robin said...

Hello Amy,
I am so thrilled and relieved for you all that Nya is better. I continue to pray for you and your family. What a blessing you are to all the lives your are involved here in the states and in Africa.
Much love,
Robin~

Craig and Bethany said...

Bob & Amy,
We are rejoicing with you. You were and are in our prayers.
Craig & Bethany Schafer

Lexi said...

Hello!

I'm a junior at Virginia Tech and last summer I studied abroad in Malawi. It was an amazing experience and ever since then I have been researching anything and everything related to Malawi.

I came across your blog back in August or September and I have been reading it ever since. I also follow the Robbins blog. I thought it was about time I let you know that I've been reading all about your Malawian adventures!

I really enjoy reading your blog! Thanks for sharing all your stories and even your struggles. Although I was only in Malawi for a month, I can relate to many of the things you talk about.

We stayed in Zomba and I taught standard 6 at Domasi Government School. We went to Mount Mulanje, Dedza pottery, Club Mak, and a Safari at Mvuu Camp.

In lilongwe we went to Freedom Gardens. Its a awesome self-sustaining gardening system. If you haven't gone, you should check it out!

Anyways, just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy your blog. I miss Malawi very much, so I love reading all about your experiences there! I would love to go back someday.

Take care!

-Lexi
ahollar@vt.edu